The problem most MUD newbies face is not knowing how to get started
when they log into a MUD. This document is a brief explanation of how to
get help on DikuMUDs and their offspring (MERC, ROM, Envy, etc.). First
of all, you have to create a new character. Your name is very important;
it is better to keep it short so it'll be easier to type. Also, try to
give yourself a name which fits the time period of the MUD. It's not hard
to explain how tacky it is to log into a medieval MUD with a name like
"Butthead". Take pride in your character. Next, choose a password. Make
sure it's about eight characters with numbers and symbols, for safety.
Now build the rest of your character; most MUDs provide plenty of help
files to support their character creation systems.
Entering the MUD's
Now you should be ready to enter the MUD. Most likely, you'll begin at
some place close to a newbie area (the most well-known is a MUD School or
some variation). You'll notice there may be a lot of messages showing up
on your screen, usually gossipping. If it's annoying to you, just type
help gossip for help or
gossip by itself to
toggle the channel off. Next, type
help for a handy list of
commands. These are the basic commands which are used most frequently
(sleep, wake, kill, practice, etc.). For more info on each command, just
help *command*, *command* being a variable you replace
with what you're trying to learn more about. Here's a list of some
- who - Provides a list of the
people logged into the MUD.
- whois *person* - Shows who a
specified person is.
- quit - Leave the MUD.
- title/description - Change title
(Rob t'Thief)/change description.
- look, look *object/person* -
Looks at room, object, or person.
- eat *item* - Eat an item. Takes
away your hunger, letting you heal faster.
- drink *item* - Drink something.
Same as eating, except it quenches thirst.
- put *object* pit - Puts an object
in the donation pit.
- get *object* pit - Gets an object
from the donation pit.
- wizlist - Gives a list of the
immortals of the MUD.
- score - Prints a table of your
attributes, amount of gold, etc.
- worth - Prints amount of gold,
level, experience, and experience needed.
- sleep, rest, sit - Regenerate a
few times faster than when awake.
- stand - Stand up after sleeping,
resting, or sitting.
- commands - Gives a list of all
the commands available to you.
- north, south, east, west, up, down
- Movement commands.
- spells/skills - These two give
lists of spells/skills you know.
Some Tips for
- Train wisdom and either intelligence or constitution to their maximums
at first. High wis gives more practices per level, int increases the
percentage learned when you practice, and constitution helps you regenerate
hit points faster.
- Ask others for help getting good newbie equipment and gold. They'll
- Play nice and get allies. It'll make your growth much easier,
especially on PKill MUDs.
- Be aware that a lot of people will know more than you do in a lot
of areas. And they'll be quick to point that out to you.
- Read the 'rules' before anything else. You don't want to get on the
bad side of the immortals. Type
rules on most MUDs to read